South Australian company Built Environs has been announced as the builder of the Adelaide Oval Hotel following a competitive tender process for the 138-room, boutique hotel project.
Work on the project will commence immediately ahead of completion in mid-2020.
Key points of the build program include:
- Cost of construction is $42m including contingency and fees;
- Pre-fabrication work will commence immediately off-site with initial on-site construction activity beginning in August ahead of major construction works starting at the conclusion of the AFL home and away season;
- The project will fully comply with the South Australian Industry Participation Policy, which includes requirements for hiring of South Australian workers as well as use of locally produced steel;
- Construction will involve approximately 450 workers on and off-site – with the hotel creating 120 ongoing FTE roles on completion; and
- The build program will complete in mid-2020 before opening in September 2020 in time for the ICC T20 World Cup.
The hotel will be built on two elevated pods that follow the external curves of the eastern façade of the stadium and therefore will not encroach on the parklands or the plaza. None of the stadium’s existing access/egress, including the plaza and atrium entry, are affected by the development and neither is the seating bowl.
Minimising the impact of construction on gameday patrons at the East Gate will remain a priority throughout the build. The two AFL clubs and cricket have been updated this week about the construction timeline and will continue to be involved as the build develops.
Quotes attributable to Adelaide Oval SMA Chair Kevin Scarce AC:
“Today’s announcement is another important milestone for the project as we work towards making Adelaide Oval the first stadium in Australia to feature an integrated hotel.
“Built Environs has an excellent record of delivering quality projects in South Australia and we anticipate the same result for the Adelaide Oval Hotel.
“We look forward to working with Built Environs to bring this exciting vision to life.”
Quotes attributable to Built Environs Managing Director, Daryl Young:
“As a proud South Australian company of 32 years, we are delighted to have been selected for the design and construction of the Adelaide Oval Hotel.
“This is an iconic project for our South Australian headquarters to be involved in and with our international footprint we are confident in our ability to deliver what is not only a first for Adelaide but for Australia.
“The team have enjoyed the collaborative and professional approach shown by our client and the consultants at Mott MacDonald and COX Architecture. In partnership with Adelaide Oval, we look forward to delivering in a high-quality project safely.”
The design is being overseen by COX Architecture and project managed by Mott MacDonald, the same team responsible for the award-winning redevelopment of Adelaide Oval. All relevant legislative and planning requirements have been met, including clearance under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
The project is being funded by a loan from the South Australian Financing Authority at 4.5%, ensuring taxpayers will make approximately $500,000 in interest each year as it is paid back by the Adelaide Oval SMA.
MEDIA INQUIRIES: Phil Martin – 0418 817 876 or firstname.lastname@example.org